Harradine Performance Nutrition contributor Jessica Rothwell gives our readers an in depth review of a High Protein Smoothie.
You can read more of Jess’s nutrition articles here.
BARAMBAH ORGANICS HIGH PROTEIN SMOOTHIE
Smoothies are fantastic, nutritious options to Refuel, Rehydrate & Recover!
- Lactose free
- 32g of Protein per serve (Wow!)
- 4% Total Fat per 100g
- Certified Organic
What do we like about this product?
- Convenient to have on the go – portable & recyclable
- Cost – Cheap, $3.60 at your local IGA (may vary between stores)
- Great taste if you enjoy sweet things – available in banana, vanilla & mango flavours
- Very High in Protein, Calcium & Low in Fat
- Dairy based products also contain an array of additional micronutrients including, Vitamins A and B12, Riboflavin, Phosphorus, Potassium, Magnesium & Zinc
- Great source of Probiotics
- No extensive ingredient list
- Lacks Fibre & Iron – therefore if using as a quick breakfast option, I would only recommend occasionally or adding to your emergency supplies
- Tastes quite sweet – despite only 6% of total sugar p/100ml, may not be palatable for everyone
- Moderately thick consistency & texture – almost like you’re drinking thick yoghurt!
- Needs to be refrigerated/kept cool if consuming later
- Athletes with higher energy requirements – a great recovery option; for those with lower energy requirements, why not have half!
- Athletes or individuals with lactose sensitivity or intolerance
- May be appropriate for those who experience ‘gluten sensitivity‘ as Rice Starch is used
The Barambah Organics High Protein Smoothie provides an abundance of nutrients & is convenient for time poor athletes! There is nothing wrong with your choccie milk or yoghurt for recovery, however keep an eye out for it, as like a party… ‘ a little variety never killed nobody!’
NB: This post was not endorsed.